chicken lentil salad
If you haven’t tried lentils as a salad, you are definitely missing out. This is so simple to put together and you can eat it for lunch or dinner.
This recipe is extremely versatile and works with kamande, njahi, ndegu(green grams), beans, peas, cold rice, couscous, pasta etc. the combinations are endless.
Recipe: (Serves 4 as a side and 2 as a main dish)
- 2 cups lentils yellow dal(cooked)
- 2 tomatoes(deseeded)
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 large green capsicum
- 1 chicken breast
- Handful of Dhania (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Slice chicken breast in half lengthwise to cook fast and evenly.
- Heat oil in pan meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in pan and fry until cooked about a minute each for both sides.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile chop onions, tomatoes,capsicum,dhania and add to the lentils in a large mixing bowl.
- When chicken is cool chop and add to the lentils mixture and mix well
- Serve and dress with your choice of vinaigrette.( see my you tube video on how to make one)
* De-seeded means that the inside watery flesh is removed from the tomato. (helps tomato last fresh longer especially in salads)
please note you can carry it as packed lunch, but be sure to pack the dressing separately, so as not to get the tomatoes soggy.