Chicken Stew Kenyan style
Hi Guys, here is another simple chicken stew Kenyan style recipe. For this recipe i used broiler chicken which cooks much faster than kienyeji chicken. However if you prefer kienyeji, see recipe here.
Recipe: Serves 4
- 1 full chicken(cut into pieces)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion ( chopped)
- 1/2-1 tsp ginger (grated)
- 2-3 grated cloves of garlic
- 1 fresh green/red chili(optional)
- 4 tomatoes (washed and chopped)
- 1 large capsicums (chopped)
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 chicken cube(optional)
- salt(use sparingly if using a chicken cube)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- handful of dhania
- In a large sufuria (sauce pan) heat oil, and fry onions until soft
- Add the ginger,garlic, chili and fry until aromatic
- Add the curry powder and chicken cube and fry briefly about 15-30secs
- Add the tomatoes fry, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft
- Add the chicken pieces, stir well and fry for about two minutes
- Add the water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the capsicums, stir well, check the consistency and taste of stew simmer for 5 minutes.
- lastly add the dhania, stir well
- serve and enjoy with rice,chapati,ugali etc.
Please Note You can add the hohos earlier if you prefer them further cooked. This recipe can serve 6, but if you are considering seconds then 4 is a good number.