Coconut Lentils Curry
As much as I love meat, I usually enjoy vegetarian meals every now and then and what better way than to indulge in a curry. This coconut lentils curry is Indian inspired. I will admit I might have used an ingredient or two that might be hard to find at your local groceries center but as usual don’t let that stop you from trying the recipe.
You can totally do away with the curry leaves and mustard seeds if they prove too difficult to find, but ensure you at least have cumin seeds,turmeric powder, curry powder and the rest of the ingredients. I opted to use store bought curry powder so you do not have to worry about mixing a bunch of spices.
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- 4 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1/2-1 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 packet coconut powder(50g) mixed with 100ml water or 100ml coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 Bunch of dhania
- Heat oil in a sauce pan
- Fry onions until soft
- Add the curry leaves, mustard and cumin seeds, fry until fragrant
- Add the ginger, garlic stir, fry until aromatic
- Add the other spices, turmeric & curry powder stir well and fry briefly about 30 secs
- Add the lentils stir to mix well
- Add water, salt, bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes
- Mix in the coconut milk, simmer for another 5 minutes
- Finish by adding the dhania and serve with rice or your choice of starch.
Also have you tried having your lentils cold? I challenge you to try my chicken lentils salad recipe. You can thank me later for broadening your palate;-)
You can substitute the coconut oil for regular vegetable cooking oil.