COCONUT NDENGU (GREEN GRAMS)
Ndengu is really simple to prepare even though sometimes I get asked on ways to make them tasty. This is a really simple Coconut Ndengu Recipe which requires very little ingredients to make it delicious… and the beauty of this ndengu with coconut milk recipe is that once the ndengu is boiled, your meal should be ready in about 5-10 minutes.
RECIPE: SERVES 3 | INGREDIENTS:
⦿ 1 cup cooked ndengu (already boiled)
⦿ 200ml coconut milk
⦿1 medium sized onion (chopped)
⦿1 tbsp veg oil ( I used sunflower oil)
⦿1 tsp garlic (finely chopped)
⦿1 tsp ginger (finely chopped)
⦿1 heaped tsp cumin powder
⦿1 flat tsp turmeric powder
⦿1/4 tsp of salt to taste
⦿2 tbsp Fresh dhania chopped
* Optional extra water about 100ml if sauce is too thick
- Step 1 should be to boil the ndengu if they are not already boiled then measure one heaped cup of the already boiled ndengu to proceed with the recipe.
- Heat oil in a sufuria and add the onions
- Fry the onions until they start to brown
- Add the ginger and garlic and fry until fragrant
- Add the spices turmeric, cumin powder and stir well
- Then add the boiled ndengu and stir
- Add the coconut milk, salt and simmer for 5 minutes or until the ndengu is to your desired consistency
- Check for seasoning then finish by adding some dhania and serve.
- Garnish with some coconut milk and sprinkled dhania.
NOTE: Add some water or more coconut milk if the ndengu is too thick after all your cooking it to your desired consistency.