White Cauliflower ”Rice” with pomegranate seeds & toasted almonds
Cauliflower is a great vegetable to experiment with as it takes in flavour really well.
It is basically like potatoes, rice, pasta which naturally are bland on their own but are great to enhance flavour to because they absorb all the spices and soak up all the goodness you add to them.
Cauliflower rice is a great substitute to any of the above mentioned heavy starches, and is a great alternative especially if on a low carb, gluten free, paleo, vegan diet.
Recipe: serves 2
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp pomegrante seeds
- 1 heaped tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- fresh herbs: used chives and parsley
Remove the outer leaves and stalks of the cauliflower and gently wash the white flesh and shake off excess water.
- In a box grater, using the large round holes, grate your cauliflower into the size of rice/couscous and leave any fibrous tough stems out.
- In a pan/ wok heat oil until hot, and add your cauliflower rice and sautee for about 2 minutes tossing as you go
- Add some cumin,salt,black pepper and toss for about a minute and put off heat
- Add some pomegrante seeds, toasted flaked almonds, herbs toss and serve.
Garnish with some more herbs, a little more flaked almonds
This dish can easily be a salad or an accompaniment to any wet kind of saucy dish.
Remember to subscribe to my newsletter and check out the other Onja posts on the blog roll to see what they came up with for the “white” topic….