Dry fry chicken masala with corn
If you are Kenyan and you are ‘kuku'(crazy) about chicken and maindi ya kuchemsha(boiled maize) though i have given it a twist, you will definitely love this.
Personally this is one of my favorite recipes…because it has chicken and maize which i feel as kenyans we consume alot off perhaps not always together.. but from the countless new emeging chicken joints in Nairobi it is safe to say we love chicken and ofcorse maindi choma(char grilled roast maize) on the road side… I prefer yellow corn…because it is soft and sweeter but you can go ahead and use our regular old white maize.
Recipe: Serves 5
- 1 full chicken
- 2 medium onions(sliced)
- 1 green chili (optional)-chopped
- 2 garlic cloves- finely chopped to a paste
- 1 tsp ginger – grated
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp chicken masala or tandoori masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- black pepper (to your liking)
- handful of dhania
- 5 medium sized corn
- 50 ml water
- Cut corn into half, boil until soft about 10min and put aside.
- Meanwhile cut your chicken into desired sizes about 10 pieces & Season with salt and black pepper,1 tbsp masala
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan and fry chicken on both sides until just brown.
- Remove chicken from heat and place side.
- Add your onions, cumin and, extra tbsp of oil if remaining oil in pan is not enough.
- Fry until the onions start to turn brown(NOT BURNT), add your chili, garlic,ginger and fry until aromatic
- Add remaining spices, some salt and stir well.
- Return chicken to pan, stir add little water about 50ml and simmer(low heat) for 15minutes
- Add your cooked corn, butter, stir mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with dhania and serve with salad.
Please note: * If using our local fresh maize then please note you have to boil the maize for sometime up to an hour if necessary to get it soft.