Matoke Masala Chips
If you are from Kenya, you might be familiar with chips masala. Well I took our kawa(ordinary) chips masala a step further to make matoke Masala chips. Matoke is green raw bananas in English and this recipe is also vegetarian and vegan friendly not to mention super healthy. I blanched the matoke in hot water as opossed to deepf frying, so you know its good for your soul. haha.
Matoke masala chips recipe: serves 3
- 1 kg(9-10pcs) matoke (green raw bananas)
- 1 large onion (cut into thin slices)
- 3 large tomatoes -(350g): (chopped)
- 1 tbsp ( ginger and garlic paste)- 2 cloves garlic & half thumb size ginger
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp dhania
- 2 tbsp oil
- little water about 50ml-100ml to dilutte the sauce if too thick
- *lemon to squeeze into the matoke water and for final touches.
Blanching the banannas
- Peel the matoke and cut into thick chips sizes. refer to video.
- soak matoke in cold water squeezed with the juice of 1 medium small lemon
- Bring water to a boil and season with some salt
- Add the matoke and par cook for about 5 minutes or until the matoke is just about soft.
- Remove from hot water and set aside aside to cool.
Tip; cut the masala chips and soak in the cold water. then make the masala sauce, so that once you blanch the matoke you can add it directly to the sauce.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions just until soft
- Add the tomatoes, stir
- Add the ginger garlic paste and stir until fragrant
- Add the spices: cumin, curry powder,chili powder, salt and pepper, mix well and cover and simmer for about 5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and spices are well mixed
- Add the tomato paste, a little water , stir well taste to check the seasoning.
- Add the blanched masala chips, and carefully mix to ensure they do not break
- cook for about a minute or just until the matoke is well covered with the sauce
- Add the dhania and just stir it before serving
- Drizzle with some lemon juice and sprinkle some extra dhania and enjoy.