TOMATO AND NJAHI BEANS RICE
When I say I love rice, it is honestly an understatement of my true love for rice. Whenever I cant decide on what starch to have with my stews or what to cook, the solution is almost always a rice dish. I took this tomotao rice a step further an added njahi to the rice. Njahi are beans which are referred to as black beans in English.
Alot of homes in Kenya tend not to like njahi so much because they find the beans to be a little sour and earthy in taste. However when you combine the earthiness of the njahi beans with the spicy ness from the paprika and acidity from the tomatoes, it really balnces the whole dish well and am sure you will love this addition in your tomotao rice.
Recipe Serves 3:
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup boiled njahi beans
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small capsicum
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 2 whole red chilis (fresh or dry)
- 1 flat tsp tomato paste
- 1 chicken cube
Tip: the blended tomato mix once blended into a liquid, should also account for the total cooking liquid. In total the cooking liquid should be 2 cups (blended tomatoes and water)
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes, garlic, ginger little water to get the blender started and blend until the mixture is smooth (puree consistency)
- In a saucepan heat some oil and sautee your onions.
- Add some whole red chilis (split so they dont burst-explode when cooking)
- Add the spices; paprika, cumin and chili powder and stir well
- Add the chicken cube break it into the spices and mix until the cube is crumbled and completely mixed.
- Add the boiled njahhi beans and rice and stir to mix well until the mixture is like a brownish colour
- then add the tomoto paste mix it in gently carefulnot to break the rice or mash the njahi
- Add the blended tomato mix and water, stir to mix and bring the rice a a to the boil
- check the seasoning then cover and simmer to cook on low heat for 15-20min or until rice is cooked.
- Add the capsicums in the last 5 minutes, stir them in gently as you fluff the rice the cover to cook.
- Serve and garnish with fresh coriander. Bon apetit!
You might also like Turmeric Rice with Peas Recipe.